Thought on orthopaedics 2
I really dislike ortho.
After a period of time, I began to conclude that orthopedics surgeons are either cursed with obsessive compulsive disorders, or they have a remarkable amount of free time on their hands, because they have classification for EVERYTHING. Every fracture in the body is graded to the point that it is almost disgusting. Why,why,why?
But never mind that. It is also another world where new terms are abound, and we are expected to assimilate ourselves accordingly. In order to do this, students, have over the years, come up with mnemonics for EVERYTHING-.- (it is debatable which is present in a larger volume- the mnemonics, or the classifications). We have so many mnemonics, that they have effectively lost their function. (it is too much effort to remember them, and then remember what they stand for)
Unfortunately, somethings are not made for mnemonics. That is when desperate students come up with something else; in particular for these two terms: varus and valgus.
'i can't remember.' I complained to my friend one day. 'which is which.'
My friend gave me an imperturbable expression. Then he pushed a book forward. 'read this passage.'
Eagerly, I glanced at it.
'to remember varus and valgus, just imagine yourself looking for a walrus.'I was filled with a subtle sense of doubt when I read the first line, but I carried on.
'You say "varus ( where is) the walrus?" the walrus jumps between your legs, and your knees move apart. 'My expression, at this moment, is something approximating this --> -.-
'Thus, varus refers to a deviation away from the midline of the joint.'
"-.-
'how is it?' asked my friend casually.
Well, thanks to this stupid tale, I now constantly visualize a walrus jumping in between the limbs when the word varus is uttered.
At least I have no problems with remembering now-.-