<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/9000030?origin\x3dhttp://gentle-ripples.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script> <iframe src="http://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID=3054107564476057249&blogName=url.blogspot.com&publishMode=PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT&navbarType=BLACK&layoutType=CLASSIC&homepageUrl=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2F&searchRoot=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2Fsearch" height="30px" width="100%" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" id="navbar-iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe> <div id="space-for-ie"></div>
Welcome to gentle-ripples.blogspot.com
Tuesday, September 21, 2010Y

Thought on Orthopaedics 5

Talk about luck.

Today, I randomly selected a consultant, and randomly intruded upon his clinic session.

He was... odd, to say the least.

And I don't even mean his random face-booking in between sessions. Or his random flight booking between patients. Or the fact that he constantly tells patients- what i am doing is shou su (operation), not mo su (magic), of course there is pain.

All the above mention can be accepted as mildly eccentric.

This guy... is incapable of giving a straight answer to any question.

There was an strange X-ray of a humerus. And, in what is usually accepted as the norm, you asked what you are not certain of.

'Sir, what's wrong with that humerus.'

He paused in between his smsing and stares intently at the X-ray.

'What's wrong with the humerus... what an excellent question.'

Continued smsing away.

If he did not repeat my question back at me, I would have thought that he did not hear me. Maybe he is a five seconds amnesiac. I tried to put in a subtle reminder.

'It looks really odd.'

'Hmm,' he replied. 'This patient is called Sara Jane. In USA they will call her sara. In Singapore we will call her sa-rah'

I imagined my expression at the moment to be something between incredulity and confusion. Which translate into this ---> -.- (I told you this has become my permanent expression)

'Sir--'

'Sara Lee,' he interrupted suddenly. 'Isn't there a margarine called Sara Lee?'

'I believed it is a confectionery brand sir,' says his house officer helpfully.

I gave up waiting. 'Sir, what is wrong with the humerus?'

He remained perfectly unperturbed. 'What is wrong with the humerus. What a deep, thoughtful, well-structured question.' An anticipatory pause, and then--






'Xie Xie ni, Sara Lee! Xie Xie ni, Sara Lee. We have a lot to thank Sara Lee for eh? All the cardiac arrest and what not.'




-.-"




I gave up. I went to read the case files directly instead.

ends at 9/21/2010 11:32:00 PM