<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/9000030?origin\x3dhttp://gentle-ripples.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script> <iframe src="http://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID=3054107564476057249&blogName=url.blogspot.com&publishMode=PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT&navbarType=BLACK&layoutType=CLASSIC&homepageUrl=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2F&searchRoot=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2Fsearch" height="30px" width="100%" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" id="navbar-iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe> <div id="space-for-ie"></div>
Welcome to gentle-ripples.blogspot.com
Tuesday, September 14, 2010Y

Thoughts on Orthopaedics 4

Another nonchalant mentor -.-

The first mentor, of course, was in General Surgery. Our first conversation went like this:

'Hello, is this doctor ____? My name is Chiawyee, and I am calling on behalf of group 39. We are attached to you for 4 weeks. Is it possible for us to meet you?'

'..... Why?' (by the way, this is expressed in a genuinely puzzled tone)

What a deep question. I fumbled clumsily over the other side of the line in sheer panic, but as these things often go, with practice, you get better.

Then, in ttsh:

'Hi, Mr____, I am chiawyee, a third year medical student attached to you for four weeks. I was just wondering if i could meet--'

'Call Dr ___. I'm on leave now.'

'Oh. Okay.'

*Flips through long contact list to hunt for said doctor.*

'Hi Dr ____, this is chiawyee, a third year medical student. I am attached to your team for three weeks, so I thought perhaps we could--'

'Oh. Have you called Dr _____?'

'Sorry? Dr _____?'

'Yes,' said the doctor on the other line patiently. 'Mr ____ is the consultant, I am the associate consultant, and Dr ____ is my registra.'

For those who are not aware of the hierarchy, it goes like this:

consultant > associate consultant> registra> Medical officer> house officer>>>> medical student.

I had a visual image of myself being thrown down the ladder.

'Actually, sir,' i said lightly. 'Mr ____ asked me to contact you.'

I sensed resignation over the other side of the line. Hierarchy triumphs all in Medicine. Even planktons can use it to their advantage sometimes.

'Oh.... okay.'

And, as I moved to SGH, i made the customary phone call one more time.

'Hi Dr _____, i am chiawyee, a third year medical student attached to you for four weeks.'

'....Oh.'

Three seconds passed. I started again.

'So.... I thought I should call you, you know, just in case you want to have a look at me?' If interested?, but I didn't say that aloud.

'Oh,' said the voice in realisation. 'Oh.' In resignation. 'Yea, sure, i have clinics now, so--'

'Excellent sir, I am free now, so I will there. See you in a while.'

My luck with tutors is phenomenal -.-

ends at 9/14/2010 11:51:00 PM